Monday, July 19, 2010

Be careful……………….of contracts

I welcome all of you to Australia and by now most of you would have enrolled in your courses, found a place to stay and familiarised yourself with transport routes to get around your dwelling area. We are all happy with the way we can access lots of facilities and services easily but when signing up for one, be sure of the fine print in the contract. Most of the basic services such as subscribing to a mobile phone provider lock customers into a contract, often for two years or more and when we want to change providers, is not possible because you have signed a contract which someone may have sold to you at your doorstep, in a sweet telephone chat or an interesting brochure.

When entering a contract, (this could be your rental lease agreement, gym membership, utilities, mobile or home phone plan, Internet) ensure that
· you are in your right mood or attitude;
· you listen to each and every word said to you and you understand the policies, terms and conditions before you sign them;
· you keep away from companies that offer misleading information; and
· you know how much the early termination fee will cost you should you decide to change providers / exit the contract.

The above is not to scare anyone, but just so everyone is rigged up with information.
I would also like to add that we can always find time just to browse what we have done in the class and not let it pile up till the last moment. I think we tend to loose our headspace a bit when the final weeks come, and it gets bedraggled. But these are the few things which trouble us as international students and sometimes appear as nightmares.

At CQUniversity, I feel blessed because I can always access the lectures, assignment help and contents which are available at course sites.
Enjoy your roller coaster ride of curricular and co-curricular activities and be fun loving.

Hot tip: Sneak out to community events you will see a part of Australia that is more indulging.

2 comments:

  1. I was in a situation where I was stuck with a contract that I regretted getting myself into.

    Contracts have a 'cooling-off' period as well, so one can opt out just in case they change their mind. The cooling off period is normally 7 days to a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cooling off period is normally 10 days and it should be exercised when ever you feel you are not satisfied or you can always refer to an ombudsman who investigate the problem and come up with a favourable solution.

    ReplyDelete